- Do not permit purchases of personal items, even if employees will reimburse.
- Sales tax should not be incurred.
- When purchasing products or services from employees and/or relatives of employees, follow conflict of interest and disclosure policies.
- Competitive bids or sole source justifications must be obtained by the Purchasing Department in advance of any purchase of $5,000 or more.
- Encourage the use of the University’s preferred suppliers in order to receive special rates based on contracts the University’s Purchasing Services Department has negotiated. (See Preferred Vendor Contracts for more information.)
- Obtain purchase orders in advance of purchases.
- Procurement cards should be kept in a secure location.
- The only person authorized to use a procurement card is the cardholder whose name is on the front of the card.
- Because of the potential personal use of procurement cards, the approvals of such transactions should be serious and thorough. Any unusual items or use of unusual vendors should be questioned. Personal use of procurement cards is not permitted.
- Original receipts, not copies of receipts, should be on file in departments/schools for all procurement card transactions.