Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation
- Non-exempt employees (employees eligible for overtime pay) must complete timesheets of the number of hours they worked each day. This is a federal requirement.
- Timesheets must be approved and signed by appropriate supervisors.
- Overtime requires the advance approval of a supervisor, i.e., before it is worked.
- Track each employee’s sick leave and vacation time.
- Access to payroll information should be very limited.
- Direct deposit of paychecks is required for all new employees.
- Do not release wage information externally without the written consent of the employee (or a subpoena).
- Question whether any independent contractors in your area should instead be classified as employees. The U.S. Internal Revenue Service has rules defining independent contractors versus employees. For more information contact Administrative Services, 882-7254.
- Do not request checks to parties outside the University to be returned to departments or employees.
- Original invoices should be sent directly to Accounts Payable by vendors.
- Don’t request a rush check or an online (hand-drawn) check if the issuance of the check is not critical.
- Keep supporting documentation for auto-approved (recurring) check requests in the departments.
- Review invoices related to blanket purchase orders for reasonableness.
- An employee should not also be paid as an independent contractor.